1 3/4 cups almond flour
5 tbsp granulated sweetener (lakanto, swerve, xylitol, erythritol, other..)
1/4 tsp guar gum or xanthan gum (prevents crumbling)
big pinch salt
2 tsp lemon zest
5 tbsp butter or non-hydrogenated palm oil shortening, melted
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
5 tbsp + 1 tsp butter or non-hydrogenated palm oil shortening
4 tbsp coconut oil
3/4 cup + 2 tsp lemon juice (juice of approx 4 juicy lemons, might need 5-6 lemons if more firm and dry)
6 tbsp xylitol
6 tbsp lakanto monk fruit sweetener/swerve or erythritol
pinch salt (skip if using salted butter in the recipe)
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp lemon zest
3 egg yolk
1 1/4 tsp gelatine or agar agar
1/4 tsp guar gum or xanthan gum
powdered sweetener *optional, to decorate the top
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (non convection). Grease and line a 8x8 square baking pan with parchment paper.
2. In a medium sized bowl, whisk to combine almond flour, granulated sweetener of choice, salt and guar gum. Add lemon zest and whisk again.
3. Add melted butter or palm oil and vanilla extract.
5. Using your hands, mix well and press into prepared pan then use a silicone spatula to firmly press down and even-out the crust.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
To make filling:
1. In a medium saucepan melt the butter/palm oil + coconut oil. Once melted, add the lemon juice, granulated sweeteners, vanilla extract and salt. Whisk until all crystals are fully dissolved.
2. Remove from heat and add in the lemon zest, egg yolks and eggs, one at a time. Whisk until eggs are well incorporated.
3. Return to heat and cook on medium/high, while whisking constantly until the mixture begins to thicken and changes into a runny pudding consistency, and can coat a spoon when dipped into it.
4. Take off from the heat and strain the mixture into a bowl, through a fine mesh sieve. You can use the strained lemon zest to 'glue' the parchment paper to the sides of the pan to prevent it from falling onto the bars while baking. Discard any extra lemon zest. Add the gelatine/agar agar + guar/xanthan gum to the bowl and whisk until combined then pour into pre-baked crust. Gentle shake pan to even out the filling.
5. Bake at 325°F for 20 minutes then turn down the heat to 300°F and continue to bake for another 20 minutes. Let cool to room temperature then chill in the fridge or freezer for approx two hours or until fully set before cutting. Run a knife along the edges of the pan and pull the bars up and onto a cutting board for cutting. Optional* dust with powdered sweetener to make it look pretty. You can use a high speed blender or spice grinder to make your own powdered sweetener.
Storage: Can be stored in the fridge and enjoyed for up to two weeks or frozen for longer storage. Thaw before serving.