Keto Hot Cocoa + Sugar-free Marshmallows
KETO HOT COCOA
1 1/3 cups almond milk or 1 cup water + 1/3 cup heavy cream/or coconut cream
1 tbsp + 1 tsp organic cocoa powder
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp collagen peptides *optional
Lightly sweeten to taste (the marshmallows melt and add a lot of sweetness so we recommend making the hot cocoa just a touch sweet, we used 2.5 tsp monk fruit sweetener)
1. Whisk all ingredients except collagen in a saucepan. Heat until very hot but not boiling.
2. Add collagen and whisk until blended.
3. Pour into a cup, put a handful of marshmallows on top and enjoy.
SUGAR FREE PALEO MARSHMALLOWS
Equipment required: Stand mixer or hand held electric beater.
1 cup water
4 tbsp gelatin powder
1 cup xylitol, maple syrup, honey or combination
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1. Line a 8x8 or 9x9 pan with parchment paper. Grease sides of pan and paper with coconut oil.
2. In the mixing bowl of a stand mixer add 1/2 cup of water and vanilla extract. Sprinkle gelatin on top and let sit.
2. In a small pot mix 1/2 cup of water with xylitol and salt. Whisk together and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce to a rolling simmer and let cook, stirring occasionally until temperature reaches 240° F. If using maple syrup or honey, stir constantly to prevent it from bubbling over. If you do not have a thermometer, boil for 8 minutes.
4. Once temperature is reached, turn stand mixer on low and slowly pour hot syrup into the water + gelatin. Aim for the sides of the bowl as mixture is very hot and could splash. Mix on low until gelatin is dissolved, scraping down sides of the bowl.
5. Turn mixer on high and beat for approximately 6-10 minutes until the bowl is cool to the touch and soft peaks form. (xylitol should take approx 6 mins while honey closer to 10). Marshmallow mixture should triple in size.
6. Working quickly, pour mixture into prepared pan and smooth with a wet spatula or use wet hands to press down and smooth out the top.
7. Let marshmallows sit for 6 hrs to overnight, then invert onto a cutting board and with a greased knife cut into squares. They will be sticky if using honey or maple and can be tossed in arrowroot or tapioca starch. Store in a container at room temp for up to 7 days.